Speed Comparison for Elementor Beta

• 25 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey folks.  I decided to do a speed comparison using Elementor. The following is what I am testing:

• My server:
    - Kernal Virtual machine
    - 2 CPU (cores
    - 2 GB RAM
    - Unbuntu OS 18.04 LTS (64 bit)
    - PHP Version:7.4.20
    - MySQL version: 5.7.17

1. Elementor Version 3.4.0-dev7
    Elementor Beta (Developer Edition) Version 1.1.1  (all Experimental ‘Active’)
    Elementor Pro Version 3.4.0-dev23
    Elementor’s Hello Theme 2.3.1 (stock),
    No content other than WP’s default ‘Hello World’ post.
  2. Elementor Version 3.4.0-dev7
    Elementor Beta (Developer Edition) Version 1.1.1 (all Experimental ‘Active’)
    Elementor Pro Version 3.4.0-dev23
    Astra Pro Version 3.5.
    Astra Theme
    Hello theme 2.3.1 (stock),
    No content other than WP’s default ‘Hello World’ post.

I tested #1 and #2 three times using Google’s Page Insight. The following scores are:
    #1 =  Mobile: 94, 97 and 96   -    Desktop: 98, 97, 99
    #2 =  Mobile: 93, 97 and 95   -    Desktop: 97, 98, 98

Both have additional plugins installed and active by default, nothing was used or configured. Not all plugins affect the front end.
- Disable Comments RB Verions 1.0.12
- Disable Gutenberg Version 2.4
- Hide My WP Ghost Lite Version 4.1.08
- Starter Templates Version 2.6.12

So out of the box, both Astra and Hello theme are extremely clean and score high in both Mobile and Desktop.  Other themes I’ve previously used (not naming names) out of the box scored lower. In most cases in the high 80’s and some in the 90’s. However, there are a few that I have tried which scored in the 70’s or less.

I strongly believe (as people have argued in the past on whose the blame for slow sites) that Elementor and their Hello Theme is a superior starting point in building a website from the ground up. Astra is right up there as well along side with Elementor.

So when picking a theme, it’s important to test that theme before you start putting your time into building your site. I’ve made this mistake in the past, several times but not anymore.  And when you do finally find the right theme or you want to start with Elementor’s Hello theme and then build and complete your first page build, test it and see how it stacks up in page optimization.  If it’s too slow, then you need to look at what you did to cause the slow down. In most cases it’s heavy images, external links like fonts and elements that uses a lot of javascript.  Of course all those can be tweaked using cache plugins and .htaccess settings. But if you don’t find the results you are looking for, rethink about that page and see what you can do without.  Does it have to be on that page? Is there something that you can do without or maybe rework it so that it’s not using unnecessary resources?

I never declare myself to be an expert in this area but I am learning. The one thing I have learned is that it’s not Elementor’s fault when it comes to page speed. Elementor gives you lots of features you can use. It’s up to you how you use them.

I am always open to constructive feedback and whether it be your opinions or expertise. Please share.

Oh yeah, I have no association with Elementor whatsoever other than that I am a customer using Elementor Pro Expert.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Eddie Kasper thank you to have shgared your experiments and test results.

Me too use ever Hello and, developing site with care and managing media and not exceeding with sections the results are fairly good and change with the type of hosting used..

Would be very interesting to see a Hello Theme vs latest Astra 3.6 now...As they improved speed again:

https://wpastra.com/astra-3-6/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Would be very interesting to see a Hello Theme vs latest Astra 3.6 now...As they improved speed again:

https://wpastra.com/astra-3-6/

Not sure how much of an improvement it will be but between Elementor and Astra and how they constantly improving the performance, I can only expect to be optimally better when it comes to speed.  The less bloat, the better. Both of them are going in the right direction.

I will, at some point, do a test with Astra Pro 3.6 later.   When I do, I will post it here.

My results so far with latest Hello Theme is, that Desktop is about 98 score while mobile is mostly around 80 only (incl. WP rocket activated)….
None of my projects could rise a mobile score higher than 86…

i think need improve with astra woocommerce + elementor pro 

Lazy loading features are missing for woocommere store 

Userlevel 2

My results so far with latest Hello Theme is, that Desktop is about 98 score while mobile is mostly around 80 only (incl. WP rocket activated)….
None of my projects could rise a mobile score higher than 86…

Using Hello, you can certainly get into the 90s on mobile - and a straight 100 with desktop - the hosting is the key, and a great integrated cache preferably - LiteSpeed Server with LiteSpeed Cache will get you there

But the most important thing is to build clever - don’t use thousands of widgets, inner sections and animations