Sticky Tips

Let's talk about speed!

Let's talk about speed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey 👋

As most of you know by now, we care a great deal about the speed and SEO of your Elementor built websites. We even have a dedicated task force with highly trained professionals working continuously on improvements. Your feedback is taken in consideration too, so if you have more, please comment below!

About this Room and it’s purpose

• Feel free to share tips, suggestions or ask questions about speed.
  • As always, our rules apply. Please be constructive and respectful.
  • Feel free to share screenshots with your speed results, but only if you tell us how you did it ;-)
  • This room is to help each other improve our knowledge, not to promote products.

A complete and professional course on how to optimize your Elementor Websites

http://elemn.to/optimizecourse

Must Read Elementor Blog Posts about Speed

🔥 Google Core Web Vitals, Elementor is on it!

40 replies

Userlevel 3

This is great! Thanks so much for this. I’ll be diving into this course this week for sure!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Any update of Optimized DOM Output, Improved Asset Loading & Accessibility Improvements be out of beta?

Userlevel 2
Badge

The Elementor website optimisation youtube series from April goes through and changes sectioned columns to inline blocks. This must be making the site faster because there are less divs (although I’m surprised it makes that much difference). 

I would have thought using flexbox for columns and aligning content to be the go-to method (unless you’re using CSS Grid). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Userlevel 3

It’s very important to use a lightweight theme on top of Elementor. It greatly affects speed. But what is the fastest theme in WordPress? 

I'll keep it short. I did an extensive speed test on 16 most lightweight WordPress themes based on the poll I had done on Facebook group and in other groups a while ago about what themes everyone uses.

If you don't care about the entire process of the test, you can skip till the end of the video. There you will see that Hello theme by Elementor is really kicking ass 😉 I don't want to give any more spoilers.

Also, the channel is new so please show some love 💜 I will post more helpful videos in the future. If you have any feedback about the production of the video, I'm all ears for feedback.

https://youtu.be/JK7TAnIChBw

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’m working on a website that scores 10/15 on GTMetrix.
I’ve created a free account on AWS and setup an EC2 instance with Ubuntu, Nginx, MariaDB and PHP-Fpm. This is a free tier server, with 1vCPU and 1Gb o Ram, free for the first year.
My scores went up to 40/50. Same website, no changes at all, just a different server.

Optimize your images, get a proper server (most shared/cheap hostings suck), avoid 3rd party add-ons that add a lot of JS libraries, and you’ll get a fast website. I really don’t think the problem lies within the DOM.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I’ve created a free account on AWS and setup an EC2 instance with Ubuntu, Nginx, MariaDB and PHP-Fpm. This is a free tier server, with 1vCPU and 1Gb o Ram, free for the first year.
My scores went up to 40/50. Same website, no changes at all, just a different server.

Optimize your images, get a proper server (most shared/cheap hostings suck), avoid 3rd party add-ons that add a lot of JS libraries, and you’ll get a fast website. I really don’t think the problem lies within the DOM.

Interesting  point of view and it’s usrely true but i think that for a site with a so low score is really easy to improve it.
Going in AWS with an EC2 instance is surely a nice action.
I’m not so sure that DOM numbers are not relevants in performances.
I’ve tried to create sites with inner sections and diiferent sections for template and to replicate same structure using a single section and the lower DOM number has had a better perfromance so, for me, the DOM are importants.
Obviously to optimize images and choose a good hosting is a best practice.
About JS numbers is not ever possibile, for normals users, to identify them because not alls have the ability to discover/understand JS number.
I hope to have explained my vision.
Thank You

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

My opinion is that when Elementor will give us the power to manage every single widget (activate or not) in every single page/template we will have a better performance on our sites.
I do not mean only to see or not to see widgets but i’m refering about all code that can be not charged if not used. 

It’s very important to use a lightweight theme on top of Elementor. It greatly affects speed. But what is the fastest theme in WordPress? 

I'll keep it short. I did an extensive speed test on 16 most lightweight WordPress themes based on the poll I had done on Facebook group and in other groups a while ago about what themes everyone uses.

If you don't care about the entire process of the test, you can skip till the end of the video. There you will see that Hello theme by Elementor is really kicking ass 😉 I don't want to give any more spoilers.

Also, the channel is new so please show some love 💜 I will post more helpful videos in the future. If you have any feedback about the production of the video, I'm all ears for feedback.

https://youtu.be/JK7TAnIChBw

I recently switched from Astra to Hello, replaced the Header and footer with Custom header and footer designed using Theme builder. I was able to safe 65KB+ (uncompressed) in CSS file size once I got rid off the astra css files. Hello theme CSS files are just bare bone. I am just a wordpress rookie. But, I believe if you are using elementor pro features, the best option is to go with Elemetor’s Hello theme.

@António Carreira I agree with you on the hosting environment. Faster servers improve your Time To First Byte. I recently helped a friend of mine with a website. For someone starting up, high-end hosting like cloudways, wp engine, kinsta etc. was not an affordable option. So I went with NameHero turbo cloud (Litespeed server) with Litespeed cache ($5.99/month for 3 years). With NameHero, my TTFB is in the 250ms range. Some of the high-end hostings will give you TTFB in the 50ms or even under 25ms. I have seen 20ms on Kinsta. When you are hosted on cheaper hosting environments, every bit matters when it comes to speed. Especially the number of DOM elements. I recently did some optimization to cut down the number of DOM elements. I went from 1500+ DOM elements to 1050 following some of the tips from Elemetor’s optimization video series. It made a significant improvement in the mobile page speed insights scores. I went from low 50s to low 80s. With some fat trimming, and asset lazy loading, I am in the low 90s for mobile as well.

Userlevel 2

I gotta be honest. We shouldn’t have to spend hours and hours trying to optimize our sites. Elementor should just have speed optimized by default! The sluggishness of Elementor is giving it a bad rep, and now Google is having to drag Elementor kicking and screaming into the future. We either fix this or no serious business owner will be able to use Elementor due to the Google algorithm changes. I don’t want Elementor to be seen as a tool for amateur businesses only.

My client recently added Nitropack and proved that a few clicks will get an A in GTmetrix. It was quite embarrassing to be shown up like that. I’ve also seen people get an A with Asset Cleanup .

Just do what they are doing and add it to Elementor by default. Boom! Problem solved.

It CAN BE DONE. Let’s stop tip toeing around the issue and blaming Elementor users. The code 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I gotta be honest. We shouldn’t have to spend hours and hours trying to optimize our sites. Elementor should just have speed optimized by default! The sluggishness of Elementor is giving it a bad rep, and now Google is having to drag Elementor kicking and screaming into the future. We either fix this or no serious business owner will be able to use Elementor due to the Google algorithm changes. I don’t want Elementor to be seen as a tool for amateur businesses only.

My client recently added Nitropack and proved that a few clicks will get an A in GTmetrix. It was quite embarrassing to be shown up like that. I’ve also seen people get an A with Asset Cleanup .

Just do what they are doing and add it to Elementor by default. Boom! Problem solved.

It CAN BE DONE. Let’s stop tip toeing around the issue and blaming Elementor users. The code 

mmhh in reality I wouldn't say that it can be done since what happens, with the adoption of nitropack, is simply a hack of the code that allows to "mock" Google by falsifying the results of those tools.
Personally I prefer not to run the risk of playing with Google's moods and I choose never to adopt such solutions.
Obviously everyone is free to choose the solution that he prefers at his own risk and this is only my humble personal opinion and nothing more.
Here in the community we also have the creator of ToolKit For Elementor  @CharlesTheCoder  that will have an opinion even different from mine.
The world is beautiful because it is various, but I would not say with certainty that this is the "solution" to the problems of speed...

Userlevel 2

@Mario Barretta I don’t think Nitropack is just mocking Google’s preferences. You can see via the screenshots, that it nearly cut LCP in half. Total blocking time is now 25X faster! Yes, they’re using a CDN, but they’re also optimizing images for page size. For instance, you don’t need a 1900px wide image on a 320px iphone. There’s a lot of other stuff they are doing too.

When it comes to the Asset Cleanup plugin, I’m no expert, but it looks like they help you only serve up necessary scripts per page, which by definition means, Elementor is loading extra scripts for no reason by default.

Oxygen is another page builder that is taking speed seriously. They explain how they do it here.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an Elementor lifer. I’ve been using Elementor for three years now, and I run an Elementor focused agency called Proxy. I’m not going anywhere, but I think when it comes to speed the Elementor crew need a little tough love! I complain because I care! :sweat_smile:

Look, there is PROOF that two plugins (Nitropack and Asset Cleanup) and another Wordpress page builder that is extremely similar to Elementor CAN get beautiful GTmetrix scores. Why on Earth can’t we add these features to Elementor?

From Oxygen’s Performance Page

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Mario Barretta I don’t think Nitropack is just mocking Google’s preferences. You can see via the screenshots, that it nearly cut LCP in half. Total blocking time is now 25X faster! Yes, they’re using a CDN, but they’re also optimizing images for page size. For instance, you don’t need a 1900px wide image on a 320px iphone. There’s a lot of other stuff they are doing too.

When it comes to the Asset Cleanup plugin, I’m no expert, but it looks like they help you only serve up necessary scripts per page, which by definition means, Elementor is loading extra scripts for no reason by default.

Oxygen is another page builder that is taking speed seriously. They explain how they do it here.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an Elementor lifer. I’ve been using Elementor for three years now, and I run an Elementor focused agency called Proxy. I’m not going anywhere, but I think when it comes to speed the Elementor crew need a little tough love! I complain because I care! :sweat_smile:

Look, there is PROOF that two plugins (Nitropack and Asset Cleanup) and another Wordpress page builder that is extremely similar to Elementor CAN get beautiful GTmetrix scores. Why on Earth can’t we add these features to Elementor?

From Oxygen’s Performance Page

I have read several discussions on forums that have led me to have that fear of NitroPack.  

Also several SEO experts have confirmed me the risk of damage by Big G.  

Obviously I am very happy if this is not true and if you can use this plugin with serenity and safety.  How come there are so many actions that need to be performed to optimize the speed of a site and you don't read only the advice to install the plugin ** that does the magic to achieve phenomenal results?

@Thangjam Kishorchand and @CharlesTheCoder  will be able to give us some more opinions as speed experts.

Userlevel 2

@Mario Barretta 

Hey Mario,

Svilena from NitroPack here. There is a lot of misleading and inaccurate information about our service, so we wanted to clarify any misconceptions about NitroPack. Here you could find detailed information: https://nitropack.io/blog/post/nitropack-false-claims

We’ll be happy to get your feedback and answer any questions in the comment section of the article.

Regards,

Svilena

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Mario Barretta 

Hey Mario,

Svilena from NitroPack here. There is a lot of misleading and inaccurate information about our service, so we wanted to clarify any misconceptions about NitroPack. Here you could find detailed information: https://nitropack.io/blog/post/nitropack-false-claims

We’ll be happy to get your feedback and answer any questions in the comment section of the article.

Regards,

Svilena

ThankYou Svilena very happy to have creator inside and to can discover better informations about your service,
In yor forum i’ve tried to ask and to have better informations .

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Mario Barretta 

Hey Mario,

Regards,

Svilena

Hi @Svilena Peneva i’m very happy to have here and to read you.
So NItroPack can directly better explain his service etc etc
I’ve participated also on groups asking better info about these informations but i’ve not received clear informations.
Now i’ll read you article and i’d like that you participate on this community to expose how it work and what nitropack do really on our sites (in this case with elementor).

Userlevel 2

Hey @Mario Barretta ,

I’m happy to hear that I’ve managed to clear up some of the confusion regarding NitroPack’s services. 

I’ll definitely keep an eye out on the discussions taking place here and step in whenever necessary.

Best,

Svilena

Marketing Associate

Userlevel 2

@Svilena Peneva I just wanted to say I’ve NEVER heard Nitropack would have a negative impact on SEO. In fact, I’ve only heard the opposite. My client installed Nitropack specifically to fix his SEO and avoid the new dings and penalties Google is putting on slow and poorly optimized sites.

I want to ask you a favor. Can you strike up a deal with Elementor to include Nitropack on every Elementor Pro site? I know you charge a good amount PER site, but Elementor has over 5 million active installs. Even if only the pro users get it included, that’s still a hell of a lot of sales. I think the new Elementor 5X price increase should buy us a bit more!  :upside_down:

Userlevel 2

Hi @DevintheDeveloper 

Thanks for the great suggestion! I’ll pass it on to the team :) We’ll keep you posted with any news on this front.

P.S. Also, great to hear you’re happy with the product!

Best,
Svilena 

Userlevel 2

Nitropack specifically to fix his SEO - this is BS - sorry - Nitropack may solve speed issues - it will never fix SEO - if your content is rubbish or poorly written/structured, Google will not rank you, it doesn't matter if you have the fastest site on the planet - Google have stated speed is a contributory factor in a tie break situation - if you seriously think that Nitropack will solve your SEO issues then you need to look again.

SEO is about content, stickiness, targeted well written words, correct usage of HTML, correct ordering of tags, link building, usage of snippets and micro data that google can understand, share worthy content, correct and not over use of keywords, and a whole lot more - RankMath, Yoast or All-in-one SEO will get you higher up than speed alone.

1. Compelling content that answers the query
  2. Keywords should be optimised to attract searchers & engines
  3. Content that is share-worthy so that it earns links, citations, and amplification AKA backlinks
  4. Correctly written Title, URL, & description to draw high CTR in the rankings
  5. Rich Snippet, schema & micro data markup to stand out in SERPs
  6. Great user experience including a fast load speed and compelling UX
Userlevel 2

@David M I never said Nitropack was an all-in-one SEO solution. :joy: Who told you that? I simply said my customer used it to avoid the new penalties google is imposing on slow and poorly optimized sites. Did you think I thought Nitropack would magically write keyword optimized content and do link outrach? I’ve worked at successful SEO and content marketing companies for 8 years, but thank you for your concern.

Userlevel 2

I agree with Devin’s most important point - I don’t really understand the need for developers to compensate for Elementor’s boggy load times by doing a lot of work with third-party plugins.

(Though I have read many people recommended Asset Clean Up and Nitro Pack. I briefly tried Nitropack but found their Insane(?) level broke things but then again, it did say it was extreme. Next time I experiment, I’ll turn it down a notch.)

I’m hoping it’s a coincidence but when I let it update to 3.3 this morning, the load times went from borderline to nearly unbearable - both as a visitor and when building. I didn’t need the hotspot feature that much.

Can I optimize? I’ll certainly try but the bogginess is interfering with my infatuation with Elementor.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Cyndi Kirkpatrick,

Svilena from NitroPack here.

I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us, but as you mentioned, users who choose  Ludicrous mode need to do so with caution, as it’s not optimal for every website. 

Our help centre offers articles on the difference between our Strong mode and Ludicrous mode, how to test if Ludicrous mode is right for you and choosing the right optimisation mode

I do hope this helps and that you might decide to give us another try in the future. 

Best,

The NitroPack Team

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I’m hoping it’s a coincidence but when I let it update to 3.3 this morning, the load times went from borderline to nearly unbearable - both as a visitor and when building. I didn’t need the hotspot feature that much.

Same problem also for me and i’ve fixed renaming a cache folder created form an other plugin so, may be. have you the same situation and you can solve in a similar way.
Surely has not been a good situation to have site totally blocked during the loading and using it on backend

Userlevel 2

Hi Svilena - I will definitely be trying Nitropack again. I just didn’t have time at the moment to test thoroughly on more reasonable settings.

Do you have any comments on using Nitropack with WooCommerce? In past, I’ve found other caching programs can confuse it.