ELEMENTO BLOATING ISSUE

• 30 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello All,

I was working with an agency and its now closed due to covid, working with agency and last project client said she heard about one thing using elementor as page builder but its causing site slow, that is what other page builder is calming and sites build using those builders its fast and Quick. In short its bloating. So I am looking for more articles where its says or shows stats that its fast and Quick.
I can’t justify from myself. and links to articles and or a speech which address this issue will be a great help. I am looking forward to clients and have this as issue address by providing them appropriate answers. From people who build it.

Just to note specially about high nesting of elements.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

To me bloat means 3 things:  ( I have no idea what happens in backend)

1. Unused CSS
  2. Unused JS and
  3. Large number of DOM nodes.

Unused CSS problems are reduced with the improved CSS loading experiments feature in version 3.3 (I guess) which is far more better than not having it.

1. Does the improved CSS Loading features work? (See my answer)
  2. How Elementor Improved Asset Loading and Made Your Website Run Faster (Elementor’s Developer post)

3. You can follow my tutorials on How to remove unused CSS manually but it also includes 3rd parties plugin which will remove automatically.

→ Removing Unused JS is tricky and it is not like removing unused CSS because if you didn’t do it properly, it can break your functionalities. So I always follow my 3D (mantras 😀)

1. Defer all the non-essentials JS so it will not block the rendering of the page.
  2. Delay JS if possible so it will improve JS execution time and 
  3. Remove/Delete JS if you’re not using. You can use Chrome Dev tools - Show Coverage report (you need to interact your page) to identify used and unused JS
  4. Elementor’s does have an Improved Asset Loading experiments for JS (see the Elementor’s Developer post) and Elementor v3.4 beta claims it will even reduce JS further

→ Elementor has a features to Reduce DOM sizes by removing HTML wrapper.

1. Optimized DOM output experiments.
  2. Layout Optimization Best Practice

I hope these links helps

Cheers

Kishorchand

First time user of Elementor, I’m still skeptical as I’m starting to find out that basic access to make inputs to things like CSS are blocked unless I signup for Pro, AFTER I purchased the product anyways, so there is bloating, fee bloating, but to the point, I was concerned about performance as using Elementor was suggested by a partner designer, I failed to research performance of platform so was nervous and had a panic attack when I saw the first gtmetrix numbers but after adding the typical performance plugins the same content in a new site did get back to it’s original A rating in a much older template.  My biggest concern now is how with Elementor nickel and dime me ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

First time user of Elementor, I’m still skeptical as I’m starting to find out that basic access to make inputs to things like CSS are blocked unless I signup for Pro, AFTER I purchased the product anyways, so there is bloating, fee bloating, but to the point, I was concerned about performance as using Elementor was suggested by a partner designer, I failed to research performance of platform so was nervous and had a panic attack when I saw the first gtmetrix numbers but after adding the typical performance plugins the same content in a new site did get back to it’s original A rating in a much older template.  My biggest concern now is how with Elementor nickel and dime me ?

you want to say using plugins you could remove bloating ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Elementor does has bloat, she is right (especially with the DOM), but they are working on it and it’s already much better than it used to be. The fact that they are progressing on that matter means that you can expect seeing speed improvements on your Elementor site over time.

However, as a professional, I can tell you that yes, an Elementor site won’t be lightning quick from the get go versus a WordPress website using no page builder, but optimizing your Elementor site is definitely doable and you can easily get sub 1 second loading speeds on normal network.

As for other page builders, I can at least tell you that they all have some level of bloat, although I wouldn’t be able to tell you how they compare with Elementor (I stopped using WPBakery page builder years ago).

The main slowdown of your site will still be styling rendering and the media you use. If you can help with those, then everything will be peachy. Cache will do most of the work.

As an example, here is a website that I’m currently working on.
You’ll notice the homepage has some pretty heavy functionalities (custom sliders, a video hero), but it still loads in 3.5s on simulated a throttled 3G network on a phone with only 2 GB of RAM. Here is a screenshot of the latest Google Lighthouse test results. On desktop, it loads well below 1 second.

This website also use a ton of plugins (25), which most people would consider bad practice, but if you know what you are doing, then you and your client have nothing to worry about.

How does that sound?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing but I was not looking for your website, I need articles and or videos that states, there is no such issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I don’t really think you’ll find anything like that. Stats are really hard to compile and compare, and I just gave you a case study. Elementor is by far the most used page builder so of course all other page builders will claim that they are different from Elementor in some way,

Why do you need big stats specifically? All websites load differently and comparing blank installations of each won’t help much in giving you a real-life impression of Elementor’s speed versus others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

client won’t approve unless you show him on some officalsites,  else he thinks  making upthings.
even I have done lot lof sites more than 200+ sites in last 2-3 years, but I am not facing issues even  I have brought time 23sec to 1 sec on one of my clinet site. but this one reads and believes,  in short he was coder. So its hard to just show any such case study. Better to show him form some offical sites. that works for him.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yeah I think you’re out of luck. Elementor does not collect such data. You could do a big case study of all the sites you’ve made and if the client doesn’t bulge then, I don’t know what to tell you. Your evaluation would be as valid as other professionals. If they don’t follow your expert advice then, that would be on them.