Hello from Sonoma County, California

• 25 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’ve been developing websites since 1994 and started a local Web Development business in 1996. Initially, I worked primarily with Perl scripts and hand coding. 

I went all in on Allaire’s Cold Fusion and developed a proprietary CMS in Fusebox for many of our clients. Eventually, we moved on to ExpressionEngine.

Once WordPress and ACF matured, I shifted towards that as an overall solution. Many of the sites I developed worked within the Genesis Framework.

Right now, I’m in the early stages of shifting site development over to Elementor. I am pleased with how the Elementor ecosystem has developed and am looking forward to exploring everything that Elementor can do.

My website is at https://www.blairworks.com/

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Mark Blair welcome to Elementor Community.
Being you so expert what do you think about professional site developing with a page builder? 
Every time that i discuss about it there are a lot of people that do not like the page builder choice  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Mario Barretta -

I was against page builders for a long time. I feel that the biggest drawback of them is that the resulting code that is output is fairly un-optimized. Although they are more optimized than in the past, they still cannot compete with a site where everything is tailored to fit.

That said, page builders have one big advantage: speed of development. There is an opportunity cost in terms of time and money to hand code everything. They are a good fit for sites that wish to grow rapidly by enabling a cost effective way to add new features, A/B test new layouts, etc.

For sites with a pretty good-sized budget or that are relatively static, they are probably not the best fit.

Based on my experimentation, I feel Elementor provides a pretty good compromise. It is extensible and so it is possible to create custom widgets as needed. There is still a ways to go in optimization and I hope that this is an area that will continue improving.

There are other page builders out there that are really awful to work with. It took Elementor to change my mind.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi Mark,

Welcome! I love the style of your website. It’s warming my heart to read that someone with your skills and background embraces Elementor. Knowing ACF and hand coding turns Elementor from a great design tool, to a site builder super power.

Cheers!

Anne-Mieke

Reading when you started developing websites, I suddenly don’t feel so old anymore *grin*. I created my first site in 1998. :-) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Mario Barretta -

I was against page builders for a long time. I feel that the biggest drawback of them is that the resulting code that is output is fairly un-optimized. Although they are more optimized than in the past, they still cannot compete with a site where everything is tailored to fit.

That said, page builders have one big advantage: speed of development. There is an opportunity cost in terms of time and money to hand code everything. They are a good fit for sites that wish to grow rapidly by enabling a cost effective way to add new features, A/B test new layouts, etc.

For sites with a pretty good-sized budget or that are relatively static, they are probably not the best fit.

Based on my experimentation, I feel Elementor provides a pretty good compromise. It is extensible and so it is possible to create custom widgets as needed. There is still a ways to go in optimization and I hope that this is an area that will continue improving.

There are other page builders out there that are really awful to work with. It took Elementor to change my mind.

You have expressed the same opinion as me and I am pleased.
Thanks @Mark Blair 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks for the kind words @Anne-Mieke Bovelett - my website is still on the Genesis framework, but I intend to shift it over to either Elementor/Hello or Elementor/Astra this summer.

Right now I’m working on switching over a couple of personal website projects to Elementor.  I’ll be using these as a playground to firm up my new development processes so that I’m ready to incorporate it into my next client build/rebuild.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Mark Blair glad to hear such words from the experienced professional as you are. I guess you don’t mind quoting you in debates @Mario Barretta mentioned. It is always an open discussion (off-line or on-line) about this same topic, some people with far less hand-coding experience reserve the right to talking thrash about page builders, especially about Elementor. The analogy to this, let's say, graphic designers will still be using pencil and paper, Photoshop and other tools is “too automated” God forbid. :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Strahinja - I think that a lot of the reasons for the debate is because the criteria for “what is best” has not been defined. If the criteria is to build the cleanest, most optimized website without any time or budget constraints then it is hard to top hand coding. That said, it is very common for projects to have these constraints. In these cases, Elementor adds a big chunk of value into the equation.

For sites that change little from launch, that value might not be too significant. What is often overlooked is the value Elementor can provide over the website’s lifetime.

For example, if I need to rapidly create a unique page layout for a time sensitive topic or landing page for a campaign, Elementor enables a near frictionless method of getting that page up really quickly.  

I feel there is only a “best approach” for each individual project.

Lastly, there are page builders I’ve experimented with in the past that I would never trust building a project on. Elementor was the first that I have worked with that was able to persuade me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @Strahinja - I think that a lot of the reasons for the debate is because the criteria for “what is best” has not been defined. 

This is the right topic, the right question that every dev should ask themselves. Sometimes the automated solutions like Shopify or Wix will do the job regarding client requests and budget.

Some other issues rear it's ugly head in this debate. Often some coders look upon page builders as danger to lose the clients, to cut the prices down, and to a devs who uses Elementor and other page builders with a disrespect.

Personaly, I came from design oriented background and Elementor is a dream tool for me. Over the years I use much more CSS inside Elementor and the ecosystem is absolutely great. Combining with a tools such ACF, JetEngine and Toolset gives me tons of possibility.