Solved

Woocommerce - Shipping Multiple Items - Urgent Costs Help

Badge +1

I’m in need to assistance from anyone that may know the answer to what I’m after (whether that is a setting or setup within the Woocommerce settings that I may have missed, or a plugin install needed):

I’ve been setting up an e-commerce shop for a car company who sell car parts, merchandise etc. When it comes to delivery/shipping they would like small/medium items to be priced at £4.75 delivery charge and large items to be set at £4.95. I feel I’ve set this up within the Woocommerce Settings section under shipping zones, labelling small and medium items at the specified prices, however a requirement from the client is wanting multiple items in the basket/checkout to change to £4.95 delivery/shipping costing - for example, if a customer is purchasing one item, they can checkout (whether that be a small/medium/ item) it’ll be priced at either £4.75 (small/medium item) or £4.95 (large item), however if the customer adds 2 or more items (either small/medium/large) the shipping cost will be £4.95 no matter what. Basically a single item be priced at £4.75 (unless a large item which is £4.95) but anymore added to basket it is priced at £4.95 delivery/shipping.

Another complex setup of item for the client is when they sell a vehicle in the vehicles category, that requires no delivery and only ‘local pickup’ which I think I have resolved/configured correctly by setting up a Vehicles shipping zone for local pickup setup.

I have set up 3 shipping classes but just need assistance on what to do and if the correct configuration?

Happy for remote support.

Can someone help with setting this up please?

Many thanks,

Tom

icon

Best answer by Tiffany Profet 14 September 2021, 16:32

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@TCQC1990 

I have moved your topic to a more appropriate room and this would explain why you did not receive any answers (the room it is in currently will mean your post is unlikely to be seen).

Please make sure you are picking the correct room when creating your posts, thanks :)

Have you found your answer yet? If so, please share it here so we can mark your answer as the best one and help others who may run into a similar issue, thanks so much.

Badge +1

Thanks Susan, I still desperately need an answer for this - I spoke to tier 2 support however they have said to contact WooCommerce support - however they can’t assist unless we use premium features of theirs (I’m only using the free version) - really need help with this for a client

Tom

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Ahh...wrangling shipping costs.  One of the fun things about setting up a WooCommerce shop.  Have you given a look at https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-jetpack/?  The booster plugin offers a few expanded shipping options that might fit what you need like “Shipping Method by Min/Max Order Quantity”.  There are tons of other options they offer too!  The free version might work great for what you need, and the PRO version expands on all of their features with lots more options.

Hope this helps you out!

Badge +1

Thank you Tiffany! I already have Jetpack installed so I’ll discover it more and see if it’s what I'm after - thank you again for sharing! Yep, beyond fiddily!

Tom

Badge +1

@Tiffany Profet I’m looking at the settings you suggested, what would say to add in them? As obviously if just the one item in the basket, then it’ll be £4.75 shipping (unless a large item, that’ll be £4.95) but two or items in the basket it would definitely be £4.95 no matter what.

Any help would be appreciated, I want it set right and you seem to know! If there’s any other tabs needing adjusting for the requirements I need then please let me know too :)

Many thanks,

Tom

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you Tiffany! I already have Jetpack installed so I’ll discover it more and see if it’s what I'm after - thank you again for sharing! Yep, beyond fiddily!

Tom

Keep us posted!  Check out the link, because although it says Jetpack….I am not sure whether or not it is actually tied into the Automattic Jetpack that we know.  I THINK it is different….

Badge +1

@Tiffany Profet Yep, it’s a seperate plugin called Booster, so no worries :) Please see my above comment!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Tiffany Profet I’m looking at the settings you suggested, what would say to add in them? As obviously if just the one item in the basket, then it’ll be £4.75 shipping (unless a large item, that’ll be £4.95) but two or items in the basket it would definitely be £4.95 no matter what.

Any help would be appreciated, I want it set right and you seem to know! If there’s any other tabs needing adjusting for the requirements I need then please let me know too :)

Many thanks,

Tom

I’d have to play around with the settings to find that sweet spot - I just know in the past Booster has helped me solve a few weird things I’ve come across.  I’m working on something right now, if you don’t mind waiting I might have time later today/first tomorrow morning (I’m based in California) to check things out and be able to give you something more specific to try.

Badge +1

@Tiffany Profet 

Many thanks,

Tom

I’d have to play around with the settings to find that sweet spot - I just know in the past Booster has helped me solve a few weird things I’ve come across.  I’m working on something right now, if you don’t mind waiting I might have time later today/first tomorrow morning (I’m based in California) to check things out and be able to give you something more specific to try.

That’s absolutely fine, thank you so much as it’s been bugging me for weeks. I know you will already but please see if you can specify to the requirements I’ve originally requested in this topic post :)

You’ll be a lifesaver if you work this out for me! 

Many thanks again,

Tom

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello:

Okay, I THINK I worked out how you can use Booster for what you need.  Booster can handle charging £4.75 for 1 item (small/med) and then calculating if someone buys 2+ items it will charge them £4.95.  You will need to use Shipping Classes to handle the proper charge for your large items (large items + any other # of items included along with it).  So, here is what I worked out!

WooCommerce Shipping: Create a shipping class, in my example I called it “Large Item Cost”, of course you can call it whatever you like.  Assign this new class to large items in your inventory, that would be shipped individually for the cost of £4.95.

In the general Woo Shipping area, you now need to set up a shipping zone with 2 methods of shipping.  One will have a cost of £4.75 for single items + the new shipping class with an added cost of £.25 (or however you write the difference in price between £4.95 - £4.75). The other shipping zone will have a cost of £4.95 (this one is for multiple items).  Both should be set to “Flat Rate”, one is going to have a shipping class assigned to it, the other does not - see my example screenshot below.

Booster Settings: You are going to use their feature titled “Shipping Methods by Min/Max Order Quantity Module Options”.  Enable this option, also turn on “Use Shipping Instances” so you can tap into the two methods you created above (you’ll need to reload the page after doing this so you can see your shipping methods).  You will take the single item shipping method and tell it min/max is 1.  The other shipping method has a min of 2, and a max (you can set this to any number you want).  So, the system will know to charge Single item method if there is only ONE item in the cart, but charge the other cost if there are 2+ items.

Gosh, hope this works out for you.  Give it a try, add items into the cart, see how things work out on your side.   Without buying into a premium plugin to handle this another way, I think I worked out the best path forward. If you find issues or something comes to mind as you work through this and it works better for you...I welcome your ideas!

Badge +1

@Tiffany Profet Thanks so much for this Tiffany, but to allow myself to not become too stuck - can you provide screenshots of the WooCommerce Shipping Class creation as I’m getting into such a muddle. It sounds as though you’ve cracked it though so thank you again!

I just want to be sure with extra steps (extra screenshots) because I’m looking to remove the current setup of shipping classes and starting fresh with your setup (don’t worry, I’ve backed the site up in case anything goes wrong!)

Also, in the “Assign this new class to large items in your inventory, that would be shipped individually for the cost of £4.95” part, is that in the same settings or in the Products section? Sorry to be a further pain, I’ll be out of life soon after this I promise! Haha

Many many thanks so far, it’s really appreciated and looks as though I’m finally getting somewhere with this,

Tom

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

No worries - attached are a few new screenshots.

1. Showing how I set up my shipping class - this is fairly simple, just give it a name (unique to you), slug and description.  Make sure this is the first step you do, so you can then add it into the shipping method (screenshot I sent earlier) as as well as assign it to individual products. 
  2. Assign it to individual products through the product editing screen (second screenshot below).

Hope this all works out for you.  Let us know how it goes!

Badge +1

I think I’ve done it! Can I have another set of testing hands on it from yourself to check? I’ve added multiple items into the basket and it seems to work in the basket and checkout!:

https://tomc100.sg-host.com/ (temporary domain currently)

Many thanks for all of your time and effort and help :)

Tom