Solved

Where is the Publish button??

Background…

I am helping a friend with their website that uses WordPress with Elementor. The prior admin (who I assume has Elementor experience) quit the job. I have a lot of experience with “raw“ web development technologies, but not page publishers like Elementor. This makes the work particularly frustrating at the moment since I know exactly what I want to do, but I have to investigate the Elementor incantation that gets me there.

The problem…

I’ve made changes to a page and a green button appears in the lower left corner that says “Update”. I click this button and it seems to save a draft of my changes. I can preview the page and it looks great. All I want to do now is publish it so that it is “live”. But there’s no Publish button. After I did an Update, the button just grays out.

I’ve done some research on this and according to the Elementor site, I should be able to preview my changes and, if I like them, I just click “Publish”. Hm...

How do I publish my changes?

icon

Best answer by Abner Rojas 1 August 2021, 22:44

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The update button is the same as publish.  You can also hit the little arrow beside the update button to save as draft.  You can preview changes by hitting the “eye” next to the update button.

The update button is the same as publish.  You can also hit the little arrow beside the update button to save as draft.

Thanks. Yes, I saw the options with the arrow. The problem is that when I Update, the page does not show up on the live site on a client PC or smartphone, even if I clear the browser cache. Is there some other action I need to perform after Update to cause the page to go live? Is there information within Elementor that tells me the last time the page was updated to the live site? I see a published date, but it’s April 2019. Perhaps that’s the date it was first created/published.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is there a caching plugin installed like WPRocket or autooptimize on this site?  If so clear those caches also.

Is there a caching plugin installed like WPRocket or autooptimize on this site?  If so clear those caches also.

Hi Abner. Thanks again for the prompt replies!

No, I do not have any cache plugins installed. There is a GiveWP plugin which has a cache, which shouldn’t come into play in this particular case, but I did clear that cache on the site and the problem is still there.

@Abner Rojas  I just did another quick test and used `curl` on Linux to pull the website page in question. This has the old webpage, not the changes. So I know it’s not a client-side caching issue. If the Update button is supposed to make the changes live, then either there’s some other server-side caching thing going on somewhere, or the Update isn’t doing what’s expected. I suspect more the former.

One extra little twist: If I go to the web page from the same PC as I used for editing the site, I actually see the changes. That’s just weird.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Abner Rojas  I just did another quick test and used `curl` on Linux to pull the website page in question. This has the old webpage, not the changes. So I know it’s not a client-side caching issue. If the Update button is supposed to make the changes live, then either there’s some other server-side caching thing going on somewhere, or the Update isn’t doing what’s expected. I suspect more the former.

One extra little twist: If I go to the web page from the same PC as I used for editing the site, I actually see the changes. That’s just weird.

That is weird, I still think it’s some kind of caching issue on the server side.  What host are you using?  Also, can you provide a link to check out?

That is weird, I still think it’s some kind of caching issue on the server side.  What host are you using?  Also, can you provide a link to check out?

I agree. By the way, I did further testing and actually only the same browser I used for admin work shows the changes on a normal page view. I have 3 other browsers installed, and they do not show the changes. So at least that makes more sense! So only the browser that I did the changes with is showing the changes on a normal view (even if I log out as admin and show it normally).

It’s hosted by godaddy.com.

Here’s a link to the pages in question. These are the two I changed:

One Soldier At A Time – Helping One Soldier At A Time

Donate – One Soldier At A Time

I’d be interested in knowing what you see. The old version has “Drop Off Locations” shown at the bottom of the home screen, but not in the Donate page. My new version moves that information to the Donate page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you see a GoDaddy tab like this?  If so try and hit Flush Cache.

I don’t have exactly that, but I do have a Flush Cache under a menu called Managed WordPress. I’ll try that...

I don’t have exactly that, but I do have a Flush Cache under a menu called Managed WordPress. I’ll try that...

@Abner Rojas  yes! That was it! Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t see Drop Off Locations on the home page, but I do see them on the Donate page.  So maybe I’m seeing the updated version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

haha ok great!

I don’t see Drop Off Locations on the home page, but I do see them on the Donate page.  So maybe I’m seeing the updated version?

Yes, that’s the correct change. Thanks for checking!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, that’s the correct change. Thanks for checking!

No problem!