Solved

Menus in Header

Badge

I’m a novice here. Following a tutorial I added a header from the library with a logo anabout 5 different menus on the rh side. I inserted and saved. When I look at the page the header logo is present but there is only one large container with one Nav Menu widget. No words. I cannot see how to add or edit the words. I have created some menus in the Menu editor but they do not appear anywhere. Any pointers to tutorials appreciated or is there a malfunction somewhere. It did work some weeks ago when first I tried it. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mark Blair 25 July 2021, 23:08

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Try editing that Nav Menu widget that is inside the header you added and then assign your WordPress menu here:

Where it says “Main Menu” in my screenshot is where you would pick the menu that you saved in “Dashboard > Appearance > Menus” (this is also where that blue “Menus screen” goes in my screenshot.

If nothing appears there, then perhaps your WordPress menu didn’t get saved. I sometimes make a bunch of changes to a menu and forget to hit the “Save Menu” button.

Badge

Thanks for that Mark. I have managed to get something showing in the menu bar but not quite what I want yet. I will put more time in at the weekend.

regards,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Great! Once you have the menu assigned properly, you should be able to manage the menu items from “WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Menus” and whatever changes you make there should appear on the site, and in Elementor when you are working on the header (or a page that is set to display it) in the editor.

Badge

Hi Mark, No it is still not working. I create a menu, Save it, assign it to the nav menu widget and update but it does not show. I have changed text colour, size  and background to see if it hidden  but nothing shows.

The logo image and the Search widget are showing and are ediable. Either there is a setting somewhere like ‘Hide all Nav menus’ or something is broken.

Where to next?

regards,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

David - is the site anywhere that it is possible for me to take a look at? Also:

• What theme are you using?
  • Are you using Elementor Pro or just the free version?
Badge

Hi Mark, The site is new and not published yet. Haven’t got past the homepage yet.  I am using Elementor Pro v3.3.5  with the ‘Hello’ theme. I can see others who are having trouble with things not showing and widgets (Nav Menu in my case) being greyed out. See attached screenshot.

regards,David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Tricky. A few things to confirm and then some debugging ideas:

1. Can you go to the menu widget and the column, and go to “Advanced > Responsive” and make sure it is not set to be hidden in any view?
  2. Can you go to “WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Menus” and confirm that the menu “Makers” has menu items within it?
  3. I’ve seen something like this happen due to low memory issues. Can you go to “WordPress Dashboard > Elementor > System Info” and scroll down to the second section (“WordPress Environment”) and check that “Memory Limit” is at least 256M?

If those all check out, my next advice would be to make sure Hello, Elementor & Elementor Pro are all fully updated and to temporarily disable all other plugins to see if that makes any difference. Also, try logging into your site in “Incognito mode” to make sure there isn’t something your browser is doing that might be getting in the way of displaying it, like an extension.

Badge

Hi Mark,  Responsive was hidden in all views so for a few seconds I thought we’d solved it. But no. I was also hopeful about the lack of items within the ‘Makers’ menu. This is something I don’t understand yet. I created a page and added this to the menu but still nothing appears in the Nav menu section.

Memory limit is at 256M.

I want to have a menu (makers) with a dropdown showing all the makers names. Can you recommend a tutorial video.

Can’t do any more now. Domestic duty calls.

regards,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Since that responsive was hidden, make sure you check the columns as well to make sure it isn’t hidden there.

The best way to confirm the menu is to go to the menu from the WordPress Dashboard and confirm that it has actual items in it, like these red circled ones:

Here is a video that looks fairly clear: 

If this is right, I’d move on to those debugging items that I mentioned in the last post when you have a chance.

Badge

Hi Mark, That was a big help. Now I can add menu items in the dropdown. For some reason they are not under their parent Menu heading. They are positioned under the adjacent heading to the right. When I search for an answer I can see others have a similar problem/challenge.

Anyway thanks again.

regards,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Mark, That was a big help. Now I can add menu items in the dropdown. For some reason they are not under their parent Menu heading. They are positioned under the adjacent heading to the right. When I search for an answer I can see others have a similar problem/challenge.

Anyway thanks again.

regards,

David

You are welcome! Is it possible for you to take a screenshot or post the link so that I can see what might be going on?

Badge

Hi Mark. Now I have it. I made the mistake of thinking every heading needed its own section and each section its own Nav Menu widget. So now all is working as it should. Onwards to the next challenge.

Cheers from Denmark

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Ah! Fantastic! Glad that you hear that you solved it.

The menu feature in WordPress is really powerful. Apart from the links to your pages and posts, you can also make “Custom Links” that link to whatever you like.

Now that your menu is in place, you just go to “Appearance > Menus” to make changes to it and it automagically happens on the site - no more need to tinker with that part in Elementor.

Have a great day!