Question

How can I tell which template has been used on a page?

• 6 December 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All

I’ve inherited the admin of a site built with Elementor and I’m trying to get to grips with the templating system. In particular, how can I tell which template(s), if any, have been used on a page? My predecessor made a bunch of similar templates - some experimental - and when I edit a page I can’t seem to tell which, if any, elements on the page came from one of those templates and which is part of the page itself. How do I know if a particular page contains a particular template, or which pages a template is associated with?

TIA

Peter

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Peter Wardley-Repen Have you found your answer yet? If so, please share it here so we can mark your answer as the best one and help others who may have a similar question, thanks :)

If you still need help, please supply more information, for example, is the site using Elementor Pro? And what theme is it using?

Badge

HELP! I’m in the same situation- how can we tell which template(s) has been applied to a page – can anyone please help here?

Userlevel 1

Hi Susan

Yes, the site is using E Pro, and the theme is Zakra. I don’t know why they went with that rather than Elementor’s Hello.

Cheers,

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Peter Wardley-Repen There are several ways and will all depend on how much of the theme is being utilised, for instance, whether the theme is providing the header and footer area or whether E-Pro is.

First to see if a page is using Elementor go to the list of pages, any page that has been edited (created) using Elementor will have that written next to it. This does not mean is has used a template and most pages don’t use a template, they are created within the Elementor editor using the widgets available or even template sections. See image below and note the one page that is not using Elementor and how that looks in your list of pages:

Second, different theme parts are often created using Elementor Pro (possibly templates), e.g. header, footer, single post, single page, archive and then have conditions applied to them for which types of pages or posts those templates will then be applied to. So a quick way to access and see those conditions is to go into any page that is edited using Elementor and once in the editor, follow the image below to see what the conditions are:

You will then be taken to a pop-up where you can see this template is being used, like so:

I hope that helps some :)

Badge

Hey Susan- thank you so much! That does at least show me that a template is being used in that section, which is a big help :) Unfortunately it doesn’t tell me WHICH template - is there any way of finding that out, by any faint chance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Susan- thank you so much! That does at least show me that a template is being used in that section, which is a big help :) Unfortunately it doesn’t tell me WHICH template - is there any way of finding that out, by any faint chance?

@Jean Edwards So as not to confuse things, as your WP set-up may be very different from the Original Poster’s set-up, please start your own topic and supply as much information as possible, e.g. a website link, any screenshots you can take of the area you are questioning and hopefully we can help you, thanks :)

Hi :))

You can know which template the current page/post uses by going to your page on front mode and hover your mouse on “Edit with Elementor” menu in the WordPress top bar.

WordPress Top Bar

Best,