How Can I Address the Limitations of the Theme Builder's Display Conditions?

• 13 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hey everyone.

I was an early adopter of Elementor and have published many reviews of it online. Recently, I decided to use Elementor on my main website, though would love some help and feedback on an issue that’s been frustrating me. :)

The “Display Conditions” Problem

One of the reasons I started using Elementor Pro on my website was the Theme Builder. It’s a great feature, but I am finding “Display Conditions” extremely frustrating.

I have over 1,300 published articles on my website and around 250 to 300 of those are pages (the rest are blog posts).

I have many different types of pages.

1. Pages for top-level/navigation pages such as contact, about etc
  2. Pages for resource/directory listings 
  3. Pages for articles

So what I want to do is create different page templates to accomodate each type of page as things like social media sharing buttons and table of contents are not needed on general information pages.

No Native Solution

Unfortunately, when it comes to pages, the Theme Builder is quite limiting (certainly, when compared to alternative solutions such as Divi). It gives you many conditional options for posts, but not pages.

Specificing hundreds of pages to use a particular page template within the Theme Builder is impractical as you can’t specify the page ID. You have to enter the name of the page. This is particularly a pain with pages that have long titles or those that have a parent page as it’s difficult to see what’s going on.

The option to add hundreds of pages as display conditions isn’t possible anyways as you’re limited to including or excluding two pages.

One solution would be to switch hundreds of articles to blog posts, but it doesn’t fit in with what I’m trying to do. I’d rather not start changing post formats of content due to plugin limitations. Even if I did switch the long-form content to blog posts, I’d still have the same issue of trying to distinguish other types of pages on my website.

Can’t Find a Workaround

I tried to resolve this by creating a category taxonomy for pages (using Taxopress) and have assigned pages to one of three categories.

My hope was that I would create unique single page templates for each page category and in the future, do the same for any additional page categories I create.

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible as Display Conditions do not show custom taxonomies (I’m unsure if custom post types are supported, it’s not something I’ve tested).

Can “Display Conditions” Be Improved?

I’m not sure if there is a way to resolve this issue in the current version of Elementor. Hopefully I’m missing something and there is a solution.

Failing that, is this something that could be added to the next version of Elementor?

In my opinion, the Theme Builder is one of the greatest features of Elementor as it lets you make each area of your website unique, though it’s currently quite restrictive.

Could we add support for:

• Specificing articles by page ID
  • Custom taxonomies
  • Custom post types
  • Bulk selection of posts and pages when choosing what to include and exclude

Thanks,

Kevin

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey Kevin!

Support for Custom Post Types and taxonomies (on hierarchical post types with hierarchical capabilities set) in Display Conditions is a standard feature. Could it be that you have to activate your CPT in the Elementor settings? See screenshot.

Pages are not hierarchical. My guess is that this is why your workaround with adding taxonomies to pages didn’t work.

I happened to see on Twitter that you mention support has not responded to your upper message. But what you are asking for here, is actually a list of feature requests. 

Currently, the best way to let the Elementor Team know that, is through Github: https://github.com/elementor/elementor/issues 

Please note, Github calls everything an "issue". You may get the impression there are a gazillion problems to be solved. But, like you may want to add one now, a lot of these actually are Feature Requests.

Before you add your request, please use the search field first, to see if this request has already been placed. If so, you can +1 it by adding a comment that literally says +1. If not, you can click the green "new issue" button on the top right of the page. You will need to create a profile on Github first (which is free), before you can post a feature request or comment.

Please provide all the details about the functionality you need (although I think with your request as written it’s basically a copy paste for you). Also, include how this feature would benefit a large number of users. People will then +1 if they think it is a great idea.

If the team feels this is a needed function (I can't speak for them, but thousands of +1 may help them feel like that, see remark further down), it gets added to the core. Keep in mind that this can take some time.

🙏 - Anne 
Fellow user and volunteer Moderator

Hey Kevin

That’s a whole lot of content!

I’ve recently been working on a big corporate site and made CPT’s for a whole bunch of different content types.

These show up just fine in the display conditions.

So one option that comes to mind right now is to create a Custom Post type for each main type of content you have at the moment.

Then you can create Single / Archive templates for each of them.

You would then just need to bulk select the pages and move them over to the different CPT’s.

In the long run things will be way more organized too.

Slight downside is it might have an impact on SEO when the slug changes.

Hope this helps

Many thanks to both Anne-Mieke and Don for responding. I’ve waited around a week for support to get back to me and asked them multiple times to respond. To date, they haven’t replied. Which, I have to admit, is incredibly discouraging as an Elementor Pro user. My opinion of Elementor has always been high, but the whole support system clearly needs reviewed.

Hey Kevin!

Support for Custom Post Types and taxonomies (on hierarchical post types with hierarchical capabilities set) in Display Conditions is a standard feature. Could it be that you have to activate your CPT in the Elementor settings? See screenshot.

Pages are not hierarchical. My guess is that this is why your workaround with adding taxonomies to pages didn’t work.

Custom taxonomies cannot be activated through the Elementor settings area. Only page types can (and Elementor is activated for all content based post types like posts and pages).

I think you’ve misread my initial issue though as I haven’t created a custom post type. I’ve created a custom category taxonomy for pages, with the issue being that Elementor does not appear to support custom taxonomies (least not out of the box).

With regards to pages, your statement above is incorrect. WordPress pages are heirarchical. I’ve got most of my pages divided into sections and as sub-pages of other pages (this fact is confirmed on WordPress.org). My guess is you are referring to something else.

I happened to see on Twitter that you mention support has not responded to your upper message. But what you are asking for here, is actually a list of feature requests. 

Currently, the best way to let the Elementor Team know that, is through Github: https://github.com/elementor/elementor/issues 

Please note, Github calls everything an "issue". You may get the impression there are a gazillion problems to be solved. But, like you may want to add one now, a lot of these actually are Feature Requests.

Before you add your request, please use the search field first, to see if this request has already been placed. If so, you can +1 it by adding a comment that literally says +1. If not, you can click the green "new issue" button on the top right of the page. You will need to create a profile on Github first (which is free), before you can post a feature request or comment.

Please provide all the details about the functionality you need (although I think with your request as written it’s basically a copy paste for you). Also, include how this feature would benefit a large number of users. People will then +1 if they think it is a great idea.

If the team feels this is a needed function (I can't speak for them, but thousands of +1 may help them feel like that, see remark further down), it gets added to the core. Keep in mind that this can take some time.

🙏 - Anne 
Fellow user and volunteer Moderator

I appreciate you suggesting that. I haven’t created any discussions on Github yet, though I did I browse through Github and this forum for days before reaching out to support and creating this thread.

Other users have raised the problem of taxonomies not being supported. Most of the discussions I saw were related to the plugin Advanced Custom Field. This discussion is probably closest to the issue I have.

You’ll see many discussions about how custom taxonomies aren’t supported in the theme builder.

Hey Kevin

That’s a whole lot of content!

I’ve recently been working on a big corporate site and made CPT’s for a whole bunch of different content types.

These show up just fine in the display conditions.

So one option that comes to mind right now is to create a Custom Post type for each main type of content you have at the moment.

Then you can create Single / Archive templates for each of them.

You would then just need to bulk select the pages and move them over to the different CPT’s.

In the long run things will be way more organized too.

Slight downside is it might have an impact on SEO when the slug changes.

Hope this helps

Yeah for large content websites, custom post types and taxonomies can save so much hassle.

I’ve set up custom post types in the past on other websites, but for what I’m doing, I feel custom taxonomies suit me better. I’d only go down the custom post type route when pages really diverge and need something specific created. All I’m looking to do right now is categorise WordPress pages so that I can then use the Elementor theme builder to style them differently.

As it stands, however, setting up multiple post types appears to be the only way to work around the limitations of the theme builder.

I’d echo what Kevin is saying - I’m seeking something similar - but instead of pages, I’m trying to create archives for custom taxonomies for Media files (pdfs, specifically). It would be a great way to organize my vast library of reports and case studies for users to download. Alternatively, allowing the Post Widget (or something like it) to display queried PDFs would be useful.

Userlevel 2

To display a certain Elementor template for a particular silo of pages I usually use something like Dynamic Visibility for Elementor plugin, which can allow you to do this. 

The other way I do it is by coding the Elementor template into my child themes page.php file. For example. if is page xyz and if xyz if parent, then echo this Elementor template shortcode, or… as others have said already, use CPTs, which will also help you organise your pages better too.

Badge +2

Remember reading this post and the replies a while back and glad I found it again.

It appears you still can’t create a custom taxonomy archive template as it doesn’t appear in Display Conditions, if using Jet Engine to create CPTs. You can create templates for the terms, just not the taxonomy archive, unless I’m missing something. 

This is mentioned here, but don’t think any progress has been made since.

https://github.com/elementor/elementor/issues/8248

However, the JetThemeCore Theme Builder appears to have this option, but it seems crazy that you need to add this plugin just for this feature.

https://crocoblock.com/knowledge-base/articles/how-to-create-an-archive-page-for-the-custom-taxonomy/

How do you guys create custom taxonomy archives?