Solved

Archive vs Posts: when to use each.

• 2 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have a “concept” doubt.

I´ve been reading and doing research ( https://elementor.com/help/posts-widget-pro-vs-archive-posts-widget-pro/ ) , but the doubt persists. Maybe it´s a dumb question, but it would be great to de-dumb myself through asking.

Which are the pros and cons of using Archive or Posts when setting up a Blog?

In which situations one is more convenient than the other?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Nacho Tomé 12 December 2021, 19:52

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Nacho,

what the advantages and disadvantages are, everyone must decide for themselves.
What do the others say?

Best Regards
Andi

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Great answer for a philosophic debate, Andi. Not that much in this context.

As an Elementor newbie, my question aims to get some knowledge from more experienced users that can help me -and other newbies- understand the practical pros and cons of different ways of using the tools.

A musical example, in case the bottomline is still blurry:
Question: “Should I buy an electric guitar or an acoustic one?”

Useful answer: “If you are plannig to play in a rock band, the electric one may be a wise choice. If you are aiming to folk, the acoustic might me interesting”.

Useless answer: “everyone must decide for themselves which instrument is best for them”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Nacho,

yes i understand, sorry for my stupid answer, i will read through your question again and maybe answer it.

Best Regards
Andi

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a “concept” doubt.

I´ve been reading and doing research ( https://elementor.com/help/posts-widget-pro-vs-archive-posts-widget-pro/ ) , but the doubt persists. Maybe it´s a dumb question, but it would be great to de-dumb myself through asking.

Which are the pros and cons of using Archive or Posts when setting up a Blog?

In which situations one is more convenient than the other?

Thank you!

Hi @Nacho Tomé you should be using both archives and posts when setting up a blog, this would be my method:

• Create some posts in WP editor
  • Create an Archive template in Theme Builder and is the design of how the “Blog” page that shows all of your posts would look.
  • Create a Single Post Template in Theme Builder and is the design of how each individual post will look.

Not sure if that answers your question, if not, please can you explain what you want to achieve with your blog so that perhaps we can better understand your question? Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you for your answer, Susan!

My original doubt was not regarding the Single Post template but the Posts Widget, which apparently is almost identical to the Archive Widget.

After some days of research and testing, what I found (so far) is that if one is intendig to do any kind of filtering of the posts´ categories, then the Posts Widget should be used. This is because the Archive Widget does not allow any kind of filtering: it just shows ALL the posts.

Maybe there´s more hidden differences, but this is what I found so far.

Thanx for your help!