Solved

Regenerate Files is deleting the CSS files

• 15 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello.

I use Elementor (non-Pro) currently. Now, when I am logged into WordPress (under /wp-admin login), I can view the website and everything seems to load fine.

I have a Custom HTML element which contains a <form>, two <select>s and some <input>s. This form displays perfectly fine while logged in.

If I log out of WordPress and try to load my page live, something seems wrong with the Custom HTML generation.

So, I was looking around for issues like this, and what I have tried so far:

• Every plugin has been disabled except for Elementor
  • I have reinstalled Elementor

Now, one thing I notice is that, when I go to edit my page with Elementor when I’m logged in, it generates the CSS files in `/wp-content/uploads/elementor/css/`. But, if I go to the Elementor → Tools page and press `Regenerate Files`, it completely erases all files out of `/wp-content/uploads/elementor/css/`.

I’m not sure what to do at this point, I don’t really want to wipe out the WordPress installation and risk losing our content.

And I do absolutely want a form inside of Custom HTML in some way; I do not want a form plugin.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time!

icon

Best answer by Abner Rojas 17 June 2021, 02:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

About CSS i'm not so prepared to propose a solution but i think that with the regenerate action is normal that it clean the folder.
For the form question i'd suggest to have PRO Elementor version so you can use their form without any additional plugin but if you want to use only free version you can only adding via html and placing his CSS on a specific folder in root that will not have any impact if you regenerate Elementor CSS.
Where have you inserted the CSS form? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Did you try replacing the form with some other html to see if that is working OK? and if so, then add just the form tags and one input and see if  that works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ya, this is weird.  If I use the wordpress custom html widget I get the top result logged out.  If I use </> HTML widget it works fine.  See if that works for you. 

According to the docs, there is no difference, so this must be a bug.

https://elementor.com/help/html-widget/

LOGGED OUT
Looks like the custom html widget strips out the inputs and form tags for some weird reason.

Logged in it’s fine! HAHA

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had a similar problem with html code. I used one of the html widget and it didn’t work but then I used the other html widget it worked fine.

As for the form, why custom code anyway?  Why not use a free form like WP Form Lite and use the shortcode and applied to Elementor’s shortcode widget?

I implemented my own plugin that sets up its own widgets to do this instead.

This is definitely an issue with Elementor deleting forms that it doesn’t know about. Adding my own “plugin” + “widget” in tells Elementor that this is a widget that it shouldn’t touch.

The suggestion to just “purchase Elementor Pro” is absolutely ridiculous. The custom HTML widget does not tell users that they can’t use form elements inside of it, and as far as I know, that’s one of the primary reasons that its even there -- to allow users to add their own custom HTML.

Why would I buy Pro? I don’t want to use Elementor’s forms.

@Abner Rojas Ha! Thanks, bud. Interesting. Though, whatever, I’ve already done the work for my own widget. For the future though, that’s the route I’ll be going! This issue should definitely be documented somewhere by Elementor if it’s intended.

On that front… why exactly is there two HTML widgets? “Custom HTML” and “HTML </>”. They look like they’re intended to be the exact same thing. It’s very confusing and I’m not sure what is going on.

About CSS i'm not so prepared to propose a solution but i think that with the regenerate action is normal that it clean the folder.
For the form question i'd suggest to have PRO Elementor version so you can use their form without any additional plugin but if you want to use only free version you can only adding via html and placing his CSS on a specific folder in root that will not have any impact if you regenerate Elementor CSS.

I did not insert a CSS form anywhere.

Userlevel 3
Badge

You could put it in as a shortcode - can you do that in the free version or is the shortcode block a pro thing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I did not insert a CSS form anywhere.

i was refering to css folder but i’ve seen that the great @Abner Rojas has given you the solution.