Solved

Google Maps widget no longer working

Userlevel 1

Hello.

I am using WordPress 5.7.2 , Astra theme 3.4.6 , and Elementor 3.2.3.

I am no longer able to utilize the Google Maps widget. On existing pages of the website using the Google Maps widget, Firefox shows

“Firefox Can’t Open This Page

To protect your security, maps.google.com will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it. To see this page, you need to open it in a new window.”

and a button to open the embedded maps.google.com link in a new window.

Chrome merely shows blank white space where the embedded map should show up.

When creating a new Google Maps widget on a new blank page using the Elementor editor, I get the same error in Firefox. When I click the button to open the embedded maps.google.com link in a new window, I get a 404 from google that says:

“The requested URL /maps?q=London%20Eye%2C%20London%2C%20United%20Kingdom&t=m&z=10&output=embed&iwloc=near was not found on this server. “

That is the URL generated by Elementor with the default London Eye location.

The Google Maps widget used to work very easily without error, but it seems like there is something wrong with the URL that Elementor is linking to in the widget.

Any help or troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Nigel Hancock 26 May 2021, 08:15

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’ve seen some people complaining about this issue on Facebook, and it looks like it’s happening to a lot of users.
I made a quick test and can’t get the map to display on the backend (Chrome) or the frontend (Firefox).

Maybe something happened to the Google Maps API, since this doesn’t look related to any Elementor update.

I’ll pass the message to a higher entity and try to understand if it’s a know issue.

;)

I’ve seen some people complaining about this issue on Facebook, and it looks like it’s happening to a lot of users.
I made a quick test and can’t get the map to display on the backend (Chrome) or the frontend (Firefox).

Maybe something happened to the Google Maps API, since this doesn’t look related to any Elementor update.

I’ll pass the message to a higher entity and try to understand if it’s a know issue.

;)

Google deprecated v2 of the Maps API, which I assume Elementor was using for that widget. Have a handful of websites here with the same issue. In chrome console, it says “Refused to display 'https://maps.google.com/' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.”

Googles Developer section states;

Maps JavaScript API v2 (May 19, 2010 - May 26, 2021)

Version 2 of the Maps JavaScript API is deprecated as of May 19, 2010, and will be turned off on May 26, 2021. As a result, your site's v2 maps will stop working, and will return JavaScript errors. To avoid any inconvenience, we strongly recommend migrating your site to the Maps JavaScript API v3 before May 26, 2021. Learn more about upgrading Your Maps JavaScript API Application from v2 to v3.

https://developers.google.com/maps/deprecations#maps_javascript_api_v2_-

Is this something elementor will have to do on the backend or do we have to make those changes?  I just downloaded the widget, I don’t remember making any changes with V2.

Hello, I’m having the same problem, my google maps widget left to work, but if I install any other option with another WordPress plugging my maps appears I think the trouble is the Elementor Google widget, not the API. My maps were working perfectly this morning and suddenly those just disappear.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

;)

Google deprecated v2 of the Maps API, which I assume Elementor was using for that widget. Have a handful of websites here with the same issue. In chrome console, it says “Refused to display 'https://maps.google.com/' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.”

Googles Developer section states;

Maps JavaScript API v2 (May 19, 2010 - May 26, 2021)

Version 2 of the Maps JavaScript API is deprecated as of May 19, 2010, and will be turned off on May 26, 2021. As a result, your site's v2 maps will stop working, and will return JavaScript errors. To avoid any inconvenience, we strongly recommend migrating your site to the Maps JavaScript API v3 before May 26, 2021. Learn more about upgrading Your Maps JavaScript API Application from v2 to v3.

https://developers.google.com/maps/deprecations#maps_javascript_api_v2_-

thankyou @imandings this is, for me, the solution

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This is now a known problem.  Elementor are aware and we’ll post more information and updates here as they happen.

The problem is due to Google having deprecated the method Elementor used to connect to Google Maps. This happened today, 26th May 2021.

Once we have an indication of the likely fix time and have sorted the best options, we’ll also post workarounds if necessary.

Userlevel 4
Badge

My concern is why wasn’t v3 implemented before v2 was finally shutdown… there was plenty of notice. That is very concerning and a huge oversight on Elementor’s part.

Hello.

I am using WordPress 5.7.2 , Astra theme 3.4.6 , and Elementor 3.2.3.

I am no longer able to utilize the Google Maps widget. On existing pages of the website using the Google Maps widget, Firefox shows

“Firefox Can’t Open This Page

To protect your security, maps.google.com will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it. To see this page, you need to open it in a new window.”

and a button to open the embedded maps.google.com link in a new window.

Chrome merely shows blank white space where the embedded map should show up.

When creating a new Google Maps widget on a new blank page using the Elementor editor, I get the same error in Firefox. When I click the button to open the embedded maps.google.com link in a new window, I get a 404 from google that says:

“The requested URL /maps?q=London%20Eye%2C%20London%2C%20United%20Kingdom&t=m&z=10&output=embed&iwloc=near was not found on this server. “

That is the URL generated by Elementor with the default London Eye location.

The Google Maps widget used to work very easily without error, but it seems like there is something wrong with the URL that Elementor is linking to in the widget.

Any help or troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Estou enfrentando o mesmo problema.

Right now it is working again, update your elementor plugin on your Wordpress installation.

Obrigado @German Escobar 

Userlevel 1

Can confirm that the latest update of Elementor has the Google Maps widget working again.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, appreciate the community here.

Badge

Has the problem been resolved? Google Maps still don't work on my site. Elementor Pro 3.3.6

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This is a strange one, as it’s continued to work for me.

Badge

Confused Embed API with the Javascript API in Google Console. Oh the hair on my head ... there are so few of them left, but you kept them :grinning: