Solved

Creating a Single Page Template with Elementor Pro

Userlevel 2

I have followed each step here:
https://elementor.com/help/creating-a-single-page-template-with-elementor-pro/

I create a new page thinking I will have a page foundation that I can then edit change parts to make new pages faster. BUT, I cant edit anything because the whole body of the page is template! If I click to edit it, it is making me edit the original template!

I thought the whole purpose of this was to give me a new page with all of the sections etc in place, and that I could edit THAT page… NOT the original template. Am I missing something?

icon

Best answer by Susan Hope 13 May 2021, 11:10

Good morning Susan.  I have followed your instructions as far as entering title and content. When I look for the featured image box, it is not to be seen.  Here are 4 screenshots, taken as I scrolled down, to show the whole of what I can see.

But wait! I have just noticed a row of tabs near the bottom; when I select Main, and scroll down, then I see a Featured Image item.  See capture 5.  I don’t know what I should select for the Global setting.

Most of those images are for your Yoast SEO settings and not what we want, however, the first image has shown me that you need to make a couple of tweaks so that the WP editor will show the feature image… so:

1. in the top right hand corner, click the vertical 3 dots so that a new editing panel pops out which runs down the right hand side of the screen, see image.
  2. then click the cog wheel (see 2nd image), again in top right hand side, which will change the panel and you can then see a few rows down the featured image, click that to add a featured image.

once you have done the above once, WP will remember your choices so you won’t need to do it again for the next post.

2nd

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

You do not miss nothing but if you apply a template is correct that happen.
If you want to edit a page, without changing the template, you have to copy it and not apply to page.
A template is a unic source that can be applied in differents locations giving us the possibility to change all with a single variation on the unic source (template)
I hope  to have understood your problem and that this can help you.

@Verdi Heinz is normal that elementro pages appear without CSS  (also for you @Bryant ?) :

Userlevel 2

You do not miss nothing but if you apply a template is correct that happen.
If you want to edit a page, without changing the template, you have to copy it and not apply to page.
A template is a unic source that can be applied in differents locations giving us the possibility to change all with a single variation on the unic source (template)
I hope  to have understood your problem and that this can help you.

@Verdi Heinz is normal that elementro pages appear without CSS  (also for you @Bryant ?) :

Actually this makes no sense. And it is not how the video portrays it to be. In theory, if everytime a person created a page it was an exact duplicate of a template, but you MUST edit the actual template file to make changes.. then EVERY page on the site would look the exact same!

The video says it is suppose to give you a consistent look, BUT then you can edit THAT newly created page, thus keeping styling etc consistent, but the content can be made different for THAT page. 

Why created a “Page Template”, set it to all pages, and then EVERYTIME you create a page, it is an exact duplicate? So in essence you could have 10 pages of a site and they are ALL exact duplicates… makes no sense.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Bryant 

Use Theme Builder (single page) to create the layout of how you want each page to look and then you use WP editor to create the actual written content, therefore each page is not the same BUT it does have a uniform look and feel across your website which is more professional looking.

If you need to have a page look completely different then create that page in WP Editor and then click to “Edit with Elementor” - this is often done for the home page as it will have a different look to the rest of the site.

Use Theme Builder to create the layout of how any single posts will look and then create each post in WP Editor.

Use Theme Builder to create your “Blog” page (archive of all of your posts) to create how that page will look. Any posts you have created will feed into it as long as you have selected that page name in SETTINGS → READING in WP dashboard.

Does that make more sense?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Bryant did you know that you can import the template from “your templates” and if you want you can edit every single part of the template?…

Please, go to Templates and create one with all your widgets, sections and everything. Once is set up, save the changes.

Create a new page. Go to the folder icon on the editor

That is going to open a new popup, then go to My Templates

Select to INSERT your template

This is going to give you access to edit each template every single time as you wish.

Let me know.

Userlevel 2

@Susan Hope you said Use Theme Builder (single page) to create the layout of how you want each page to look and then you use WP editor to create the actual written content, therefore each page is not the same

The problem is when I insert the template into a newly created page, I CANNOT EDIT the content of the newly created page because it MAKES ME EDIT the actual template. Which is not making sense.

If I save a page that I created as a template, and name it “Base Page”.
I then want to use this “Base Page” for Terms and Conditions, Cookie Policy, 2257, etc. basic pages.
When I then go to create The 2257 page, I insert the template, for me to add all of the 2257 page text, I MUST EDIT the template! Which changes the template (now the template has 2257 text) saved into the template.

Now, when I go to add new page, Terms and Conditions, insert template, the text is 2257 text. Now, if I edit text (of the template), it is not gonna be Terms and Conditions.. which now the 2257 text is NOW the last saved Terms and Conditions text. 

So what is the purpose of having a page template, that every time you need to use it, it FORCES you to edit the actual template? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Bryant you are misunderstanding how theme builder templates work. You create a template via theme builder, when you go to publish the template you should be asked for conditions - for internal page layouts you would select to include for ALL pages and add an exclusion as for FRONT PAGE.

Then you do not need to insert the template when creating actual page content, leave that template choice as default. Create your content using WP editor but NOT elementor. The page will be published using the template you gave the conditions to.

If you want to have your home page look completely different in layout from your internal pages (most people do) then this time you create a page called HOME and then you do EDIT WITH ELEMENTOR - so this page will be designed however you want and only this page and because you excluded it from the conditions above, it will maintain the design you have given it.

NOTE in order to use Theme Builder you need Elementor Pro version.

Please watch this video which clearly explains everything and is only just under 4 mins long:

Userlevel 2

@Susan Hope That is the video I have referenced in my very first post. I have already watched it numerous times. 

It seems like the explanation would be better to say that elementor templates are for content already a part of the page as in meta already a part of THAT page.
But the video makes a novice think they can load the template, and then edit the CONTENT while keeping the structure.. which is not the case. 

So, to actually use these templates like I expected them to be. I create a fully styled and structured page. Then I use the plugin Duplicate Page https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicate-page/
Which gives me an exact duplicate of the master page, I name it the new page.. and now I can edit what I want on the page WHILE not even needing to deal with the confusion of elementor templates and the fact that the templates are at different locations..

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sorry @Bryant I do not have the time to keep rereading all of the posts/threads and therefore missed the fact that you had shared the same video. I have to say the way you described what you had done led me to believe you did not fully understand the concept of theme builder. Good luck with you method :)

I have a related problem.  I have a template that I made in theme builder.  One item within it is a Featured Image.  When I create a new blog post it lets me put new txt into text boxes as it should (editing with Elementor).  But when I go to the Image box and click on ‘Edit Single Post’ then on ‘Edit Featured Image’ then select the image I want in the new post - it then applies my image to the old post  as well.  But not all of them - just the previous post, while the earlier ones retain the image I gave them.   It does the same in reverse - when I use the same process to correct the image of the previous post, it then changes the one in the new post.

I must be doing something different from what I did to create the earlier posts, but I can’t figure out what it is - I’d appreciate any help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I have a related problem.  I have a template that I made in theme builder.  One item within it is a Featured Image.  When I create a new blog post it lets me put new txt into text boxes as it should (editing with Elementor).  But when I go to the Image box and click on ‘Edit Single Post’ then on ‘Edit Featured Image’ then select the image I want in the new post - it then applies my image to the old post  as well.  But not all of them - just the previous post, while the earlier ones retain the image I gave them.   It does the same in reverse - when I use the same process to correct the image of the previous post, it then changes the one in the new post.

I must be doing something different from what I did to create the earlier posts, but I can’t figure out what it is - I’d appreciate any help.

Is the template that you made in theme builder a “single post” template? If so, you should be adding content and featured images via the WP post editor not via editing with elementor.

Hi Susan, thanks.  Yes it is a single post template.  I just tried editing with WP editor and also tried creating a new post that way.  In both cases the Featured Image box was not visible.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

This is the location of the featured image when you are creating or editing a post, can you confirm that this is the screen you are seeing when trying to add a featured image (you should not be in the template or edit with elementor at this point).

If it is not there, what theme are you using please? It could be the theme interfering?

No this is not what I see.  My theme is Jupiter X.  All updates have been installed.

I really appreciate your help but can’t do more today.  I will come back to it tomorrow.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No this is not what I see.  My theme is Jupiter X.  All updates have been installed.

I really appreciate your help but can’t do more today.  I will come back to it tomorrow.

When you come back to this tomorrow then please do me a favour and try adding a new post again by going to:

Post → Add New in the dashboard

Then create a test post but DO NOT EDIT WITH ELEMENTOR, stay in WP editor. Add a title, some content and look for the featured image area as in the image above, add a featured image then publish the post. Click to view the post and take a screenshot of what you get on the live site.

Perhaps also take a screenshot of your editing screen when adding a new post.

Good morning Susan.  I have followed your instructions as far as entering title and content. When I look for the featured image box, it is not to be seen.  Here are 4 screenshots, taken as I scrolled down, to show the whole of what I can see.

But wait! I have just noticed a row of tabs near the bottom; when I select Main, and scroll down, then I see a Featured Image item.  See capture 5.  I don’t know what I should select for the Global setting.

PS the site is podac.info, if you want to see what I am talking about.

With global set to NO, I tried using Elementor to add an image, and I still get the same problem.  And also with it set to YES.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Most of those images are for your Yoast SEO settings and not what we want, however, the first image has shown me that you need to make a couple of tweaks so that the WP editor will show the feature image… so:

1. in the top right hand corner, click the vertical 3 dots so that a new editing panel pops out which runs down the right hand side of the screen, see image.
  2. then click the cog wheel (see 2nd image), again in top right hand side, which will change the panel and you can then see a few rows down the featured image, click that to add a featured image.

once you have done the above once, WP will remember your choices so you won’t need to do it again for the next post.

2nd

YaY! it worked. You are a  star.  Many thanks. 

Is there an easy way for me to learn all this stuff?  I hate having to use up other people’s time sorting these problems, yet it is so complicated it is hard to get my head around.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Is there an easy way for me to learn all this stuff?  I hate having to use up other people’s time sorting these problems, yet it is so complicated it is hard to get my head around.

So pleased we finally got to the bottom of it.

Firstly, this is what the community is for to help and especially beginners so please don’t worry about asking

secondly, you can search elementor.com there are many tutorials both written and video and also search on YouTube there are many beginner videos for both Elementor and WordPress.

@Paul C (who is a member here) does a fantastic line of very helpful videos on his YouTube channel.

Grand, I will take a look at those.  Knowing where to start is my issue.  I am a writer, rather than a website designer, but I have no funds for paying a professional to do it.  So I much appreciate the service you and this forum provides.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Grand, I will take a look at those.  Knowing where to start is my issue.  I am a writer, rather than a website designer, but I have no funds for paying a professional to do it.  So I much appreciate the service you and this forum provides.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. For future reference (I should have said this earlier) even if your problem is similar to someone else’s please still start your own post, you will be far more likely to get help that way rather than your question being hidden in another post, thanks :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

So pleased we finally got to the bottom of it.

Firstly, this is what the community is for to help and especially beginners so please don’t worry about asking

secondly, you can search elementor.com there are many tutorials both written and video and also search on YouTube there are many beginner videos for both Elementor and WordPress.

@Paul C (who is a member here) does a fantastic line of very helpful videos on his YouTube channel.

Thank you for the recommendation Susan, it’s very much appreciated.

I hope the videos on the channel will help rcj - If you want a comprehensive guide to many of the main aspects of Elementor, from beginners to working with dynamic data, have a look at this video: 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thank you for the recommendation Susan, it’s very much appreciated.

You are very welcome Paul :)

Userlevel 2

@Susan Hope ok, so today came a revelation for me, and by mistake. In reference to my “original” post, because during the different posts of help, the original question kinda got lost or maybe misunderstood.

I never had a problem understanding the theme builder or even ‘conditions’, my question was specific to “templates” and using them while editing a new page. But as the this post grew, the discussion moved to ‘theme builder’ + templates, etc.

Anywho, while editing a new page, I clicked and inserted a page template using the button where you add new section or template. And WITH THAT method it inserted the page template and with this method it inserted just fine AND allowed me to edit the parts of the template WITHOUT having to edit the template!!! Which is what I was looking for exactly!! This what I was expecting.

So in essence, when adding the page template via the template widget (forced me to HAVE to edit the main template) where-as when I insert the exact same page template via the button where the add new section is, it doesn’t have the yellow template border AND I’m allowed to edit parts of the inserted template as expected easily. 

Did everyone already know this, or was this just me? I don’t recall this being mentioned in any documentation anywhere (and I love reading documentation lol).

And wow.. @Paul C in the comments!