Solved

"Local Content" in a Global Widget?

• 14 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Just curious, is there a way to use a Global Widget in the Elemenetor Page Editor but change the stuff in it’s “Content” tab for each time I use it?

I’m fine keeping everything in the “Style” and “Advanced” tabs linked to the Global Widget so that any changes to colors or borders / margins paddings etc will propogate, but it seems silly to be able to create Global Heading or Paragraph Widgets for example that ALWAYS have the same text in them.

Maybe I’m interpreting Global Widgets incorrectly and there is a way to do this (style all of the Elementor widgets that you can drop into Elementor Editor)  and Global Widgets is not the way.  Is there somewhere in the Theme Builder to do this?  The only thing I’m seeing is how to “Globally Style” site elements that are NOT in Elementor with the “Site Settings” controls.

Is it just CSS?  That can’t be the answer because then what’s the point of Elementor...

icon

Best answer by Abner Rojas 15 July 2021, 17:21

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This would be a great feature, I don’t think global widgets supports this yet, which is kind of crazy .  I have to unlink them if I want to make content changes, which can be pretty annoying if you have lots of pages using it.  I use Global Widgets sparingly for styled elements like dividers or call to action buttons where you might have 3-4 variations.

Userlevel 2

Global is specifically for stuff that always has the same contents

What you can do is create a global widget, then add it where you need it to go, and then unlink it from global - so you’ve got all the styles there, but you can customize the content to whatever you like

Since you can’t save a single widget or element as a template, this is the easiest way around it

Userlevel 1

Yeah this seems like kinda a no-brainer since it would just be providing a front-end to the functionality that CSS was already made to handle.  It even feels like it should work since they so specifically seperated “Content” and “Style” into seperate tabs in the editing interface.

Global and then unlink does seem to be the closest we can get, which is okay I guess as I can just make sure I’m SURE about the style before I start making pages and unlinking a bunch of widgets, but it’s certainly not ideal.  There’s definitely a gap of functionality between global widgets and templates.

My only other thought would be to use global widgets that reference dynamic content (using custom fields or whatever) for each post type; aka have a global widget for the “first” text block on a page, one for the “second” etc, similar to page content, featured image and page title, but that’s like adding a 3rd or 4th layer of abstraction on top of the functionality of Elementor on top of Wordpress on top of CSS / HTML in general.

I guess it’s more lucrative for Elementor to just make more themes and one-off widgets than it is to make a robust system that allows quicker and more intuitive control over style elements your self.

I came here to ask the same question. I’ll follow this discussion to see if anyone comes up with anything!

Userlevel 1

I asked this same question a couple weeks ago in the Facebook group. Only fairly involved recommendations were provided. 

Badge

I have this same issue, its kind of a must have. Ive been down a rabbit hole of hours of tutorials that have workarounds, such as using a section with some kind of shortcode. Maybe someone else can turn this into an add-on widget if elementor won’t address it.

Basically my use case is this:

1. I want to create a “blockquote” that is reused everywhere with the same styling and animation.
  2. The blog author should have an easy way to add this without having to learn shortcodes and other complexities
  3. With design updates, I will want to change the style and entrance animation for this sections across the entire site
  4. global widgets dont allow my to customize the instance without unlinking
  5. unlinked widgets are a problem because every design change means I would have to modify every instance

So, how do we do handle this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can create global templates and insert them in other templates using the template widget.  This is useful in some cases.

Badge

You can create global templates and insert them in other templates using the template widget.  This is useful in some cases.

are you saying that would work in this situation of needing local text within a globally-managed section design?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

are you saying that would work in this situation of needing local text within a globally-managed section design?

Unfortunately no, if you need different text for some pages then this option won’t work.